Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Hard Starting RAS

Puckdropper wrote in :

My DeWalt 7740 began to start hard today. It doesn't always do it, but
there's a distinct effort (and a burning smell, as the motor is trying
really hard to start) to start the motor rather than the usual quick and
smooth starts. I'm not sure about this, but when pulling the saw through
the wood the motion seemed more "grabby". I wonder if that's a sign of the
blade slowing down?

The blade spins freely and the bearings are new.

If a start cap was going bad, would the motor behave in this manner? Any
other likely suspects?

Sounds like the start cap to me.