Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Cheap Chinese generators

I rent some stables and a field where there is no mains electricity. I
manage with cordless tools for most jobs, and with a 900 W (inverter)
genny which will run the angle grinder, a mains drill, or circular saw
on the rare occasions I need them.

I'd quite like to use a larger Bosch shredder up there soon and I doubt
if the current generator will do it. I see that you can get basic
nominal 3 kW ones for between £200 and £300 (not inverter, obviously)
and I suspect these would run the shredder.

I know these will not cope with the inductive load of a traditional
stick or MIG welder, but I've recently got one of the little Lidl
inverter stick welders (nice toy, BTW). I guess that might have a kinder
load characteristic, any ideas whether a cheap generator might cope?

Any other views or advice? I realise that hiring a petrol shredder would
be cheaper, but I like collecting things.

:-)