Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default New tougher MOTs.

On 29/01/2018 11:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 10:41:59 +0000, Andrew wrote:

8

As I suspected. One rule for company car users, and an entirely separate
set of relaxed rules for motability. Unless the person on benefits
cannot drive, surely it should be restricted to 'driver only' ?.

AS I said, SWMBO cannot drive (eyesight ****ed). She is in receipt of the
benefit which provides a Motability car (plus a few thousand non-
refundable "deposit" from us)

There are plenty of motability cars that don't require any additional
upfront payments.
Its just a lease hire scheme where the mobility payment makes up
part/all of the costs.

I once watched that program on C5 when the High Court Sheriffs were
trying to recover a debt owed by a young lady to a funeral director.
Apparently ladies mother had died of cancer. She really put on the whole
drama queen entertainment, telling the debt collectors that they were
scum of the earth blah, blah, blah, that she was 'suffering'
from agrophobia and stress and on disability benefits, so had no assets.

According to lady the Sheriffs were 'picking' on her and her *wife*
because were living in a rented house (quite new) which was all funded
by housing benefit etc.

When they checked her car, it turned out to be a motability car.

They mused on camera, just what her disability was, since she had no
problems giving them the 3rd degree on the doorstep.

I take it that it was an in-depth, medically knowledgeable discussion,
where all forms of disability and their manifestation were examined ?

Or (more likely) two blokes spouting ********. Funny, I bet there was no
"balance" there. If only they'd linked it to climate change. We'd have
had to have a full panel of "views".

Some disabled people are fine for days at a time and then suffer.

A Ford garage near my fathers house in South Wales has a big sign in
their showroom advertising the motability deals they do. Apparently
that, plus PCP loans are their entire business.

For PIP/DLA recipients at the *highest* rate, it is possible to sign over
the entire mobility component to Motability as a monthly payment on a
lease car. A quick look at government data suggests a total of 157,000
people are getting this award. Or c. 0.25% of the entire population of
the UK. Eliminating that benefit with no replacement wouldn't even equal
a days worth of uncollected *due* tax from business.

You can sign over less if you go for a cheaper(1) car, however there
isn't much saving.

1: Cheaper is the cost over the lease and a cheap to buy car may cost
more than one with a better resale value. Quite often a better spec
model of a car is cheaper on motability.

The manufacturers also tend to throw in extras which make the resale
value better.

It's also worth knowing that the plural of anecdote is not data.