Stuart Campbell

Default Underfloor water leak detection

I live a new build flat (Jan 03) and have had fixed flooring placed.
Natural cherry wood which is layed and then treated / varnished. The
floor runs continuosly throughout the flat.

I live on the first floor and the property below has a small amount of
water coming from their ceiling. The builder suspects that the leak is
coming from our flat and wants to lift the floor to see. This will
apparently be at my expense and as the floor will almostly certainly
be damaged could be an expensive exercies, not to say disruptive.

My problem is that they do not know yet that the problem is eminating
from our flat, both my flat and the one below suffered from a leak
with the riser located between my flat and the one above about 4
months ago so this is not the first problem.

Is there anyway of determining if I have a leak (I have no evident
damage) without lifting the floor i.e. technology etc.. Does anybody
know where I stand legally ?

Thanks
Stuart