Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default ALDI Table Vice

Hmm, I had a set of jewellers screwdrivers where the blades were nice and
hard and the handles looked good but the joint between them failed on most
long before you had done up any screws. So much for looking good. they were
branded Stanley, but I suspect they were in fact counterfeit.
This was 10 years ago now and so rubbish is not a new concept. Draper
hacksaw blades that broke far faster than usual,
etc.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Roger Mills" wrote in message
If you're thinking of buying one of ALDI's £5.99 table vices, don't
bother. I bought one, and it's total crap. Neither of the threads - for
clamping it to a table and opening and closing the jaws - work smoothly.
The working part of the vice is connected to the table fitting by means of
a ball joint, allowing the orientation to be adjusted. Problem is, said
ball and its housing are both made of cast aluminium - with lots of
flashing, preventing smooth operation.

I've improved it somewhat by totally dismantling it, fettling off the
flashings and then lubricating everything before re-assembling it. Unless
you're prepared to do the same, I would recommend avoiding it! Mine is now
probably worth six quid after I expended twenty quid's worth of labour on
it.
--
Cheers,
Roger