Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Finishing Mahogany Exterior Door

On 1/28/2018 4:25 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Client has new exterior Mahogany door installed.Â* Typical 3-footer with
1ft. sidelights.
Guy who put it in said he doesn't like finishing, but has another guy
who does it, and estimated he would charge $6-800.
Other guy shows up and tells them it'll be more like $1200.

Inside, I'm thinking, "Heck, *I'll* do it for $6-800!" but try to play
it cool.
So, I'm looking into it.

What am I missing, here?Â* Is this really a thousand dollar job!?
What's the best finish to use?Â* Spar Varnish?

I'm guessing you're talking about several coats to do it right, so is
that the reason for the high bid?

My guess is the guy sized up the customer. I've know tradesmen that
doubled their price if the customer was a doctor or lawyer, added 50%
for anyone driving a fancy car.

I can see $600+ though. Couple of hours for each of three trips. 2
hours on site, travel, only a half day for other work.