Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ALDI Table Vice

Sounds a bit like the Draper branded one I bought from Maplin ages ago.
But I'd guess for a lot more money than that in real terms.

The casting which clamps to the ball warps with age and ceases to clamp.
But a bit of filing make it work again, but weakens it. Not that I'd use
it for anything where you'd expect a vice to be rigid.

The jaws are only 2" and I only really want it for holding PCBs etc when
soldering. And it's screwed down to the workbench - the supplied clamp
being pretty useless. I'd happily pay more for a quality item.

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
If you're thinking of buying one of ALDI's £5.99 table vices, don't
bother. I bought one, and it's total crap. Neither of the threads - for
clamping it to a table and opening and closing the jaws - work smoothly.
The working part of the vice is connected to the table fitting by means
of a ball joint, allowing the orientation to be adjusted. Problem is,
said ball and its housing are both made of cast aluminium - with lots of
flashing, preventing smooth operation.

I've improved it somewhat by totally dismantling it, fettling off the
flashings and then lubricating everything before re-assembling it.
Unless you're prepared to do the same, I would recommend avoiding it!
Mine is now probably worth six quid after I expended twenty quid's worth
of labour on it.

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.