Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ALDI Table Vice

If you're thinking of buying one of ALDI's £5.99 table vices, don't
bother. I bought one, and it's total crap. Neither of the threads - for
clamping it to a table and opening and closing the jaws - work smoothly.
The working part of the vice is connected to the table fitting by means
of a ball joint, allowing the orientation to be adjusted. Problem is,
said ball and its housing are both made of cast aluminium - with lots of
flashing, preventing smooth operation.

I've improved it somewhat by totally dismantling it, fettling off the
flashings and then lubricating everything before re-assembling it.
Unless you're prepared to do the same, I would recommend avoiding it!
Mine is now probably worth six quid after I expended twenty quid's worth
of labour on it.
--
Cheers,
Roger