becida

Default Need advice with rural water well pump design

I'd talk to a pro about this... An 'on' switch for the sub pump at 500 or
1000 gal down and an 'off' switch when full. That way the pump will just run
until you get enough water.

Rob

"Gene" wrote in message

The only reason that I want a 2nd smaller pressure tank
is to keep the submergible pump in the well from
constantly shutting on & off. The plan for the 2,000+ gallon
poly holding tank is to draw down to say, 500 gallons,
then the submergible kicks on & fills it up to the 2,000+ limit.
This way, the submergible is not constantly switching on & off.
I really do not care what the above ground pump does, it's
easy to replace & service. It will probably have a ~100 gallon
pressure tank and be a 60psi with a large rate of flow.

Gene

"becida" wrote in message
Not able to help with specifics but I do know the psi tank is for the
household sytem (your 2k gal poly tank). Sounds like you want your

sub-pump
to operate (only) when the poly tank gets low, you don't want it to take
more than 2 or 3 gpm (run the pump dry = pump burnout?).
At 2 gpm it will take 1000 min of pumping to fill the poly tank, like 16

hr.
Lot's to think about. If you don't end up with solid answers here I'd

think
about hiring a pro... those pumps get spendy and pulling 140' of drop

pipe
with a pump at the bottom is a bit of work.
Good luck!

Rob

"Gene" wrote in message
Problem: Design a pumping system for this rural water well:

- we have a new 240' water well with 6" PVC casing on
some rural ranch land north of Austin, TX
- the screen is set from 140' to the bottom, which was plugged
at 240' (we hit salt water, so we had to cement back up to 240':-(
- good water pushed up to 110' - where it remains
- we have not placed any pump in the well as of yet
- we have 110 & 230VAC next to the well
- the "main problem" is that the well only produces 3 gallons
per minute! So we have to design around this problem.
Our best guess is that the well will constantly produce
3gpm of good water, but that's the best "rate of flow" that
we will ever get.

Here is my first thoughts for a pumping system:

1. Install a high quality small stainless steel submergible pump
and a small pressure tank at the well. Not sure which brand of pump,
size of pump, etc. The idea is to end up with a high quality

submergible
pump system that will keep the 3 gpm flowing & last for five or so
years.

2. The submergible set-up above will keep a 2,000 gallon poly
storage tank filled by use of a float switch(s). An above ground

"second"
pumping system will deliver a large volume of water as needed to the

home,
yard, etc. - up to the amount of water available in the 2,000 gallon

tank.

What I need is "SPECIFIC" recommendations as to the pump(s), tanks(s),
float switch(s), etc. I need make, model, etc. data to design this

system.
Choosing the
proper horsepower(s), etc. of the pumps is a bit fuzzy for me:-)

I am currently looking at the Grainger catalog number 394 (page

2811)and
the
Grainger site for pumps & switches, etc.
Here is the Grainger catalog in PDF:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...p?CatPage=2811

THANKS in advance:-) !!!

Gene