Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Analog UHF TV transmissions.

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 00:23:36 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I find that I am much more aware of PAL artefacts (shimmering

coloured
edges on captions or other areas of high contrast) than I am of

digital
artefacts.

PAL just looks soft to me.

Yes, if you analyse a still frame of some movement with DVB-T,

there's
blockiness and compression artefacts which you would not tolerate

in a
still photograph, but I don't *usually* notice it in a moving

sequence.

Evryones pereception is different, I find the, changing artifacts
that surround a static caption on a static background terrible. Then
you have the loss of detail in panning shots and the snap back to
detail when the pan stops. Or when the compression gets silly, the
talking static head when the only bits moving are the lips and eyes
(when the person blinks or adjusts their gaze).

Main thing I object to is jerking on movement.

Yep, rollers that don't smoothly roll and lose detail so you can't
read 'em.

--
Cheers
Dave.