Posted to alt.home.repair
Mad Roger Mad Roger is offline

Default What to measure when adjusting clutch pedal bolt?

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 18:02:04 -0800,
Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

The rod (bolt) needs to be adjusted so that there is about 0.1" clearance
between the end of the rod and the clutch master cylinder piston with the
pedal 'up' (not pressing it).

Thanks for the advice as, well, as I NEED advice.

I can't disagree about the measurement, but I'm not sure how to measure
that.

The problem is that I don't *feel* any slop with my hand pushing along the
axis of the bolt away and then toward the master cylinder.

You can't see the piston or where the rod
contacts it, so you have to do it by feel.

I know what it looks like as I rebuilt the master cylinder, so I know what
you're talking about.

I just don't feel any slop at all no matter how I adjust the bolt.

Push the pedal gently by hand*
until the space is taken up.

I'll have to try this again. Hopefully I can hear a click or feel the
"space" being taken up.

If you can't feel any space, you might have it too tight.

I'll try again.

Back the rod out of the master cylinder

That means to turn the bolt INTO the pedal (and away from the master
cylinder), which is, in effect, a shortening of the bolt.

until the clearance is
obvious and then gradually extend it.

OK. That sounds like a plan.
It's a normally threaded bolt which is threaded into the clutch pedal.

Is this a good plan?
1. Shorten the bolt by screwing the bolt into the clutch pedal assembly.
2. Then feel for slop (there "should" be plenty of slop, I would think)
between the end of the bolt and the master cylinder (this is on the other
side of the firewall so it has to be done by feel)
3. Once I get a feel for the slop, then lengthen the bolt by twisting the
bolt OUT of the clutch pedal, which "lengthens" it.

When it's correct, tighten the jamb
nut to keep it in place.

That part I understand!

The idea is that the clutch master cylinder has to be able to 'relax' all
the way rearward when not pushing on the clutch. At the last point in it's
travel, the piston opens up the port to the fluid reservoir and lets fluid
in to make up for leakage.

That makes sense.
Thanks.

*Feeling the rod clearance is easier by hand. Your foot isn't sensitive
enough to judge the small amount of play.

I'll try again now that I understand it a bit more.
I agree that even my hand isn't sensitive enough, so a foot will never do
it.