Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Coon[_2_] Mike Coon[_2_] is offline

Default Nichrome Wire Temperature for Cutting Sofa Cushion Foam?

In article ,
says...

Hi,

I recently bought 18 gauge Nichrome wire for the purpose of cutting a
Sofa cushion foam in half (split the cushion foam, in effect make the
cushion half as thick). Length of wire I will heat is 3 feet (cushion is
almost 2 feet wide)

I have what I need to adjust the current from 1 to 12 amps. Also,
I have a chart for amps relating to temperature. Example: Apx. 6.5 amps for
600 degrees F. for 18 gauge Nichrome wire.

The only information I was unable to find was the recommended
temperature for cutting foam with this type of wire.

Thank You in advance, John

Not a very helpful contribution, sadly, but that chart relates to wire
in free air (presumably). As soon as you put it in contact with the foam
it will cool down and not cut. You really need something that is
thermostatically maintained and more like a knife with some thermal
inertia.

And the temperature you need depends on the foam composition, which you
have not told us!

Mike.