Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default OT(ish) - delivery from eBay of small electronic components

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 26/01/18 15:20, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 26 January 2018 15:03:35 UTC, wrote:
On Friday, 26 January 2018 14:43:46 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 26 January 2018 14:19:12 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Friday, 26 January 2018 11:59:56 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 26 January 2018 11:01:27 UTC, Fredxx wrote:

Most gold plating is a very thin layer,

Yes it's amazing how cheap gold foil can be having brought some gold
foil that I'm trying to stick to an electroscope !!!!

electroplating is many times thinner

Yes so should be even cheaper, as gold is used to eliminate tarnishing
of the connector a very thin layer is easily scratched so may not be
much use long term. So a good quality lead should have a reasonable
thick gold layer but I;ve no idea how much extar such a lead would cost
but I wouldn't have thought more than a couple of quid worth of gold.

ie you don't know.

I know I don't know, that's the advantage in that I wouldn't pay an
extar £100 for gold plated leads a couple of quid for me would proabbly
be worth it.

gold has value on low analogue signal pins: it has virtually none on
digital signals

I think it does on very high speed ones, where a change in resistance
creates discontinuity, leading to reflection and inability to accurately
measure transitions. Don't forget that high speed digital signals or
*not* binary at the physical layer, but more like RF digitial signals,
multi-level and phase dependent. !0GBe for instance.

--

Roger Hayter