Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default What to measure when adjusting clutch pedal bolt?

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 20:30:48 -0000 (UTC), Mad Roger
wrote:

Need help figuring out what to MEASURE when adjusting a self-adjusting
clutch pedal bolt.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3835507bolt.jpg

I've adjusted the bolt all the way in, half way, and all the way out:
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8057083bolt2.jpg

No matter whether I adjust the bolt all the way inside the clutch pedal
(turning it CCW facing the pedal like a foot would).

Or if I turn the adjusting bolt all the way out of the clutch pedal
(turning it CW).
Or halfway between...

I don't feel any "slop" anywhere (e.g., between the rounded tip and the
master cylinder piston cup). The *feel* of the clutch pedal engagement
changes drastically between all the way in and all the way out though.

But clutch pedal feel is not the question (mainly because I don't know how
it "should" feel). So the question is only about what to measure, and how.

The question is only about WHAT to measure with a ruler and how to measure
it.

Why is it you think the clutch pedal "feel" is not an aspect of the
adjustment? The throw out bearing needs to release from the clutch
plate in the bell housing. You can't adjust it by a ruler. You need
a little slop in the pedal so the plate is not always engaged at the
risk of burning the plate.

....at least back in the day. Two cents.