Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT(ish) - delivery from eBay of small electronic components

On Friday, 26 January 2018 15:17:56 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

I've had problems with oxide on those rather horrid DIN connectors
indoors - in a house which is never damp.

Yes, like 3.5mm jacks, 5 pin DINs are only fit for limited use. Gold
doesn't really solve that though. If you use something suitable like
phonos or 1/4" jacks there's no real upside to gold unless the
environment is corrosive.

Tuchel do a connector with the same pin size and spacing as DIN - but more
usually found on pro gear. And that has a better plating to the contacts
and seems to be pretty reliable.

I dunno what they use on the ordinary cheap DIN connectors - but I've seen
several heavily corroded. Not something you seem to find often on other
types of connector.

quite, the problem is something other than lack of gold. They're junk grade stuff.

3.5mm is simply too small to be robust enough to last normal use. Again gold is not the solution.

NT