Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default OT Analog UHF TV transmissions.

wrote in message
On Friday, 26 January 2018 15:19:10 UTC, wrote:
Analog TV is being consigned to its rightful place, the history books.

Yes, nobody wants pictures without conversion delays, compression
artifacts and DOGs these days. Analogue TV really was awful.

At its best, analogue TV was pretty good. But it was rarely seen at its
best.

Both analogue and digital have their drawbacks. For digital, conversion
delays, compression artefacts and DOGs. For analogue, PAL artefacts such as
flickering coloured fringes around contrasty edges, the need to avoid fine
detail which causes cross-colour, snowy/ghosted pictures if reception is
poor.

I'm sure if we could see studio-quality PAL and studio-quality digital,
before transmission, and compared them with what the viewer sees at home,
we'd weep at the loss of quality along the way.