Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing question

On Friday, 26 January 2018 12:22:53 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 25/01/2018 23:51, Steve Walker wrote:
On 25/01/2018 23:25, Max Demian wrote:
On 25/01/2018 20:36, Steve Walker wrote:
On 24/01/2018 22:58, Max Demian wrote:
On 24/01/2018 21:59, Adam Funk wrote:

We had a hot-and-cold-fill machine until about 10 or 15 years ago.
Would it have filled with a mixture of hot and cold water even for the
60° or 90° programmes?

I think those always filled with hot water if available. I had one
which took ages - about 30 minutes as the hot water pressure was so
bad [1] - so I filled it on a cold setting and then reset it to the
hot to heat up with the immersion element.

[1] Actually the next one I had, which was also hot-and-cold, took
only 10 minutes to fill with hot, so maybe there was something else
wrong with it.

Was the restrictor for mains pressure hot water removed I wonder?

No, the hot water tank was fed from a cold water tank above it.

No, I meant that washing machines were usually supplied with a
restrictor fitted to the hot inlet to restrict the flow if they were
plumbed to a mains pressure supply (such as from a combi) and that
restrictor needed to be removed to give reasonable flow if the hot water
was fed from the lower pressure of a header tank.

I see. It's quite likely that the first one hadn't been installed
properly. One that was installed when I was home took them a total of 10
minutes including removing the old one - the new one was cold fill so
there wouldn't be a restrictor. (These were washer/driers - the middle
one lasted eight years which was considered a good lifespan.)

Some machines had 2 fill valve options, one for mains one for low pressure supplies from overhead tanks. The latter had to be obtained from the mfr when installing.

NT