Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default How Small Do You Grind ?

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 1:04:38 AM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 18:58:48 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

I started free hand grinding my own drill bits...
The smallest I've reground so far was a #21.

The smaller drills..for me...are easier ground on the typical 1x40
belt sander.

I had a production problem that needed #61 drills, and (before we
switched to HD cobalt) dulled 'em fast. So, when we got to the
bottom of our stock, the (real machinists) set us up on the drill
sharpener (Darex, I recall). There were collets for each drill size,
and it did a good job.

But hearing that 'the smaller drills' get sharpened on the belt sander,
I have to laugh. That wouldn't have worked for me.