Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Free - Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy

Larry Jaques on Wed, 17 Jan 2018
22:29:38 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Internet archive used to make djvu docs until about a year ago.
They were far superior to pdf. Don't know what happened other than I
found other people complaining about the loss too.

Hmm, I don't recall seeing the djvu format, or maybe just overlooked
them as not a format I recognized. What readers read them?

Speaking of which, I miss the hell out of DejaVu, the wonderful
pre-Google site.

I remember back when Google wasn't a bad search engine, either.

Some docs come from
Googles scanning project and really suck. I always avoid those if at
all possible...

Yeah, I downloaded a book which was supposed to be over 60% pictures
the other day and found that it had NONE in it. Paragraph
descriptions of everything followed by no pics. It's criminal,
Google!

I downloaded a book - massive tome, which had the passages I was
looking for. But the scan which had all manner of gibberish in it.
Bad OCR. Really bad. Plus many pages where column A is preceded by
column B, followed by Column C.
Fortunately, I found a PDF scan (with pictures) so I could start
sorting it out. Like I need another project.

--
pyotr filipivich