Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless
Harold Newton Harold Newton is offline

Default Could a T-Mobile repeater & femtocell be moved to a new location outside the Santa Cruz mountains?

" wrote:

OK - on the off-chance that you are actually serious about your question,
and yet have no capacity for internal thought or logic, a condition proven
repeatedly.

Rest assured I'm of average intelligence, very highly educated, and of
rational thought, where my belief system is based purely on facts that
support it - hence - if you show facts otherwise - I have no problem
changing my belief system.

Let's reserve judgment based on what we learn in adult discourse below...

a) The repeater *does* report back to the tower, just as your cell-phone.

Let's first use the Covey Principle, of reflecting what you're saying (seek
first to understand - then to be understood).

Is this what you're saying:
1. The weak cellular signal comes from distant "real" cell tower #100.
2. That weak cell tower #100 signal is picked up by my Window Unit.
3. The Window Unit broadcasts that signal to my Home Unit.
4. The Home Unit acts as an amplified "repeater" for cell tower #100.
5. I can easily *see* this on my Android phone, which reports the tower #.
6. Then my phone connects to the Home Unit ...
7. Which connects to the Window Unit ...
8. Which connects to the "real" cell tower #100.
9. Such that, the "real" cell tower #100 "sees" your phone connected to it.

Is that what you're saying?
(Please correct where I err.)

How do you think cell-calls are traced? This is not just 'movie' stuff, but
everyday stuff. Not just cell phones, but your car, your FitBit and much
more. The point of this device is that you are in a poor coverage area.
Otherwise, you would not need it. Meaning, it acts as an amped-up link for
your phone.

I already know, from extensive use of software on Android that Jeff
Liebermann told me about, that the cellular repeater picks up and repeats
*different* "real" towers, only one at a time, but which one depends
depends on which window in the house that I face it and which real cell
tower has the best signal (as I can log that it changes even when it's in
the same window).

This is the advantage of the Android free software that Jeff and I tested
extremely thoroughly, which allows you to conclusively show what unique
tower ID is being used (whether or not that tower is in an Internet
database - because it uses the actual tower CID - and not some geolocation
guess based on an Internet lookup like OpenSignal does).

The only real question, which is NOT a legal question, is the pragmatic
question, of whether T-Mobile *could* that the *repeater* was moved, say,
100 miles from where it's supposed to be.

That's the question.
a. Could they notice the *repeater* moved?
b. Note they'd have to KNOW that the repeater moved - not the phone!
c. Note they do know the *phone* moved - but that's not the question!

b) Therefore, the moment you moved this device onto another tower, your
provider would know it.

Attempting to seek first to understand, and then be understood...
Is this what you're saying, comes *after* step 9 above:
10. Now you *move* the Window/Home Units to a location 100 miles away.
11. The "new" cellular signal comes from new "real" cell tower #200.
12. That new cell tower #200 signal is picked up by my Window Unit.
13. The Window Unit broadcasts that signal to my Home Unit.
14. The Home Unit acts as an amplified "repeater" for cell tower #200.
15. I can easily *see* this on my Android phone, which reports the tower #.
16. Then my phone connects to the Home Unit ...
17. Which connects to the Window Unit ...
18. Which connects to the "real" cell tower #200.
19. Such that T-Mobile "sees" your phone connected to new cell tower #200.

Is that process what you're trying to explain to us?

They live for jackasses, cretins, donkeys and
assorted other detritus - such as you - who somehow feel that agreements
made in good faith are to be ignored for their personal benefit. Let me put
it another way - if you can figure out an angle to cheat, they have entire
staffs dedicated to thwarting idiots like you.

Let's remove the needless vitriol and stick to the technical topic.
Let's act like adults, using normal adult words and discourse.

First off, it's not my question but I'm repeating "The Real Bev's"
question, which I found interesting - and which - I said - from the very
beginning - is being asked for theoretical purposes.

If I had wanted to do this, I would have tested it long ago, as it's my
service on the line if I actually do it. It's easy to test - but I don't
want to test out T-Mobile's patience. I just want to know the answer to the
technical question.

It's sort of like asking what it's like to climb Mount Everest ... where it
doesn't mean that you have to climb it just because you find out the
answer.

You really do need to get a life - and/or invest in learning about critical
thinking as you are, clearly, a tick on the soft underbelly of society in
your present state.

Needless insults aside, the question is whether T-Mobile "sees" the
*repeater* or the *phone* connecting to real cell tower #200.

If all T-Mobile sees connecting to the new cell tower #200 is the *phone*,
then theoretically, T-Mobile has no way of knowing that you "moved" the
repeater; however, if T-Mobile can actually see the *repeater*, then they
do know, instantly, that you moved it.

Do you know the answer to this question?