Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall[_2_] Adrian Brentnall[_2_] is offline

Default Dripping ceramic disc taps.

On 23/01/2018 15:39, newshound wrote:
On 23/01/2018 13:14, Johnfranklyn wrote:
replying to Ret., Johnfranklyn wrote:
My Ceramic hot tap dripped, stripped it and rubbed the washer faces on
fine
grade wet and dry paper resting on a piece of plate glass. Re
assembled and no
drips. Easy fix!

I would wonder if this was more thanks to removing "elevated" limescale
deposits than lapping out "scores" in the seal faces. (In which case a
good descaler might have done just as well).

As you'd expect with a post from Homeownershub - the original discussion
was back in 2011......

However, I posted in uk-diy in late December (2017!) with a similar problem.
I found a UK supplier who reckoned to supply a complete replacement
cartridge assembly - so I bought one for the 'hot' end and one for the
'cold' end of my kitchen mixer tap.

Once the parts turned up, they fitted perfectly into the mixer-tap, but
were subtly different in the location of the 'cover' thread, so the
chromed covers wouldn't fit completely.
The supplier pointed out that my mixer tap wasn't exactly the same as
the one they'd pictured (very subtle differences in the design -
different manufacturer altogether, apparently) - and, after a bit of
discussion, they agreed to refund the cost on return of the cartridges
in 'as new' condition).

In the meantime, I'd disassembled the original cartridges and soaked the
ceramic discs in vinegar overnight. Reassembled with a touch of
vaseline, and (touch wood!) they've been drip-free for the last month.
There was nothing visibly 'wrong' with the original discs - but the
vinegar soak seemed to do the trick.