Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Mending damaged bath

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 18:20:42 +0000, GB
wrote:

On 22/01/2018 16:22, DerbyBorn wrote:

Time for a new bath.

+1

Fibreglass and resin is wonderful stuff, and I've mended a few things in
my time with it.

I've built / moulded many things out of it, including canoes and RC
racing boats.

But I wouldn't say that the result is cosmetically
beautiful.

I think it can be.

Uncles Reliant Robin was hit whilst parked at work and a similar sized
hole to the OP's bath punched though the top of the wing.

He was going away for the weekend but rang us to mention the damage in
the hope we could help him resolve something when he got back.

We dived round there as soon as he's gone, repaired and re sprayed it
and I'd have to say you would be hard pressed to spot where the hole
was. In fact, when he was dropped back late Sunday night he 'felt' for
the hole but couldn't (tried both sides in case he's remembered it
wrong) and even went indoors to get a torch as he thought he was going
mad. It was only when he saw the traces of fibreglass on the gravel
drive ... we then got the phone call. ;-)

The trouble is that a new bath may mean new tiles, and that means loads
of mess.

Something I considered when we fitted the plastic corner bath 30 years
ago now and so I reinforced the plastic with a good couple of layers
of chopped strand mat and extra reinforcement on the weaker bits.

I'm pretty sure the reinforcement has helped to protect against damage
caused by things that have been dropped in it over the years. ;-(

Depending of ease of access ... and what's likely to be considered
'acceptable' ... I'd clean the hole up with a round file / Dremel and
maybe use some of that slotted MDF to create a backing to pull some
chopped strand matt up against the back of the hole. Once cured, the
hole could be filled with patches of CSM and then filled with a body
filler, smoothed and polished or covered with some quality shaped
vinyl to make it a feature (like a big water droplet). ;-)

Cheers, T i m