Posted to alt.home.repair
JBI JBI is offline

Default main water line frozen?

On 01/22/2018 04:49 AM, R Bob wrote:
On 01/08/2018 01:57 PM, JBI wrote:
The first culprit was some frozen lines that run into the kitchen and
the area where freezing occurs is toward the edge of the house.Â* A
small electric space heater aimed at the area seems to get them
dethawed within 24 hours. The second time was apparently frozen lines
in the attic.Â* It still only affected the kitchen, so I aimed a space
heater into the bottom kitchen cabinet and within a day water was
flowing again.

OMG! If you live where temps go below freezing for extended periods,
water lines should never be run through exterior walls or an attic.

Unfortunately, they do. Where I live normally doesn't remain below
freezing all day for more than several days during the winter. However,
this year, like 2003, was an exception with about two solid weeks of
below freezing weather.

I was fortunate that temps reached into the 60's just after the deep
freeze and water flow was restored. Even though the main line froze, I
had been leaving water dripping throughout the freeze, so I credit that
to not having burst or damaged pipes once flow was restored. My
neighbor wasn't so lucky. He never left anything dripping/ trickling
and ended up with a burst line in the kitchen. The township here also
ended up with a burst line under city streets. So, definitely not a
good "pipe friendly" winter so far. I just hope it's over. Usually,
when we get these freak cold periods, once they've had their couple of
weeks, they're done for the season and I just hope that's the case this
time.