Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default your oldest power tool

dpb wrote in news
On 1/19/2018 11:10 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I'd be willing to give it a try, it'll be nice to see a usable gear
come out of the machine. I often work on models with .3 mod gears
and the teeth are just too fine to cut with an end mill. (If you
just look at those tiny mills wrong, they break.)

Puckdropper

Thanks...I intended to go get the pieces-parts out of the drawer
yesterday while was nice out but got side-tracked on "must-do's" and
didn't get that far. I'll try to follow up although as I begin to
recollect, it seems that now I'm recalling it is actually the worm
gearing cut on the end of the rotor shaft or the matching gear to it
that drives the larger that is the set of matching teeth that give
out.

The tiny diameter (3/8"???) worm drives the primary drive gear; it's a
two-gears-in-one arrangement where the inside matches the worm and the
outer drives the rest of the gear chain so it's not just a single flat
gear.

As said, I need to go get pieces and make pitchures...I don't believe
I ever found a parts drawing online to point at.

No rush, and now that I think of it they might have used helical gears.
I can cut a spur gear without much trouble, but helical is another story.
I'm not going to be able to cut a helical gear with my current set up.

I wonder if I could cut a form into a piece of O1, then use that like a
milling cutter with a rotary table to make the helical gear?

Obviously I can't promise anything, especially if they're helical gears.

Puckdropper