Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Gender pay gap

On Saturday, 20 January 2018 12:22:46 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 11:49:50 +0000, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

snip

The best thing about using modern words is that it winds the left
brained dinosaurs and self appointed spelling / grammar cops up (in a
d-i-y group ffs)!

Try re-reading Brave New World and 1984 and you might see what we are
getting at.

And that highlights another 'facet' in all this Roger. I've never read
either and so couldn't 're-read' (but thank's for the consideration
that I might g) and would probably guaranteed I'm unlikely to ever
do so. The reason, is I've only read a few books in my life because I
don't find the process 'entertaining' or easy.

'Entertaining' because I'd rather do many other things for my
'entertainment' and the 'easy' bit is a combination of finding it
difficult to focus on something that doesn't entertain or stimulate
and part of that is down to my Tinnitus (and now eyesight).

So, I'm constantly asking the Mrs how to spell stuff, because unlike
me she has always loved reading and so is exposed to the written word
more.

Victorian Streater would judge that as me being 'lazy', whereas I see
it as me having the right to choose WTF I want to do. ;-)

So, as far as being 'bothered' to hunt down potential / alternative /
'Streater Approved' words and ruin whatever flow I had at the time, I
just do my best knowing that ant right minded person reading it for
the right reason would find it perfectly comprehendible g. The
others, well, they know where they can go. ;-)

Now, had the mistake been highlighted positively then of course I
would explore and accept it in the manor it was given ... but with no
guarantees I wouldn't use the same / less_than_perfect word the next
time (memory / interest / priority etc). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

If someone can't comprehend the conjoining of the word comprehend with the standard ending -ible then they've really got a problem. And that would be all English teachers. It's the sort of attitude up with which I can not put.

NT