Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Snap-Check+ Setup Tool - Opinions Wanted

On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 5:10:57 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2018 1:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 12:36:58 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2018 10:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 11:15:50 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/19/18 6:55 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What do you think of this setup tool? Scroll to the bottom of the
page for a video.

http://www.chipsfly.com/product/35-572.html

I have an iGaging angle cube and it works great.
Of course, any smart phone will do that trick now.
It's a shame they don't have the digital display on their aluminum model.

You have to be careful quality control of the iGaging stuff.
When I got my cube, it wasn't flat on a couple sides-- it was bowed. I
took it apart and fixed it by bending the case back in. Not something I
should have to do out of the box, but it works perfectly.

The plastic frame and the sliding dovetail were the 2 "features" that jumped right out
at me as potential problems. At $22 there almost *has* to be issues.

All that to say you just have to make sure it's all up to snuff during
the return-for-refund time. With those cheap prices come greater
potential for quality control issues.

When dealing with "return for refund" on low priced items, the shipping costs almost
make it not worth it. Give it away or toss it on a shelf.

Prime has it for $23. Cheaper than chipsfly after shipping. I might just spend $23 for a
new toy.

Get some batteries too. I find that some of these tools tend to get
turned on unknowingly, especially the tilt box, and the battery is dead
when you want to use it.

A few months ago I needed a battery for my digital calipers.

Right next to the local Woodcraft is a store that specializes in batteries and bulbs. I stopped
in, showed him the button battery and he offered me 2 options:

A blister pack of 2 for $X or a small LED flashlight that contained 3 batteries for the same $X.
"You get 3 for the price of 2."

Either he was not an owner or his profit margin on the flashlights is much higher than on the
blister packs. Either way, I saved money and ended up with 2 spares instead of 1.

Or the batteries in the flashlight were crap brand. ;~)

Could be, but unless someone wants to waste a few batteries doing a
regimented test, I don't really care. As you implied, these types of tools
tend to eat batteries, even if it's accidentally. Since it's kind of hard
to tell if the batteries are dying because of actual extended use or
just be left on or turning itself on, etc., I'd rather get 3 for the price
of 2.

I've sure got better things to do (like talk with you guys) than to monitor
the caliper battery life of one brand vs. another.