Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Snap-Check+ Setup Tool - Opinions Wanted

On 1/19/18 2:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 2:59:01 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/19/18 11:35 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2018 10:42 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/19/18 10:39 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2018 10:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/19/18 6:55 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What do you think of this setup tool? Scroll to the
bottom of the page for a video.

http://www.chipsfly.com/product/35-572.html

I have an iGaging angle cube and it works great. Of
course, any smart phone will do that trick now. It's a
shame they don't have the digital display on their aluminum
model.

You have to be careful quality control of the iGaging
stuff. When I got my cube, it wasn't flat on a couple
sides-- it was bowed. I took it apart and fixed it by
bending the case back in. Not something I should have to
do out of the box, but it works perfectly.

All that to say you just have to make sure it's all up to
snuff during the return-for-refund time. With those
cheap prices come greater potential for quality control
issues.

The electronic tilt box/cube/what ever brand. Be careful if
your equipment is on mobile equipment. I found that if I
lean on my TS the reading on the box changes.

Yes, you find that out in a hurry. Great tool and I use/trust
it when I need a DNO angle on the blade.

Since I brought up the phone app, I think I'll do a
side-by-side comparison and see if either is more accurate than
the other.

I keep my phone in a Defender and in the past an Otterbox case.
Neither work well with a tilt setup because of inconsistencies.

I just did a side-by-side (literally) test between the cube and
phone. I set up a jig using a flat board and a bolt on one end that
could be turned to raise the height on that end, increasing the
angle of the board. I loaded several different level apps and
sorted through until I found the most accurate ones. Bottom line is
the phone seems incredibly sensitive and changed its reading even
before the cube. However, as accurate as it is, the reading of
both would vary from each other in the 100ths. So which was
correct? I don't know. :-)

However, the major difference, as you alluded to, is ease of use.
I can't fit the whole phone on a TS blade and I if I could, I'd
have to hold it against the blade.

The angle cube is very small and has magnets that hold it to the
blade, freeing your hands to adjust the saw. Ironically, the
magnets on one side of my cube allow it to slip, which the opposite
side sticks solid. Oh well.

Are these switched magnets?

I have a switched magnet cube at the base of a dial indicator rod.
The cube can be used upright or on its side. When on its base, the
hold is super strong. When on its side, you can slide it around.

I suspect that the magnets are only pointed toward the base. When on
its side, I think you are only getting the "residual" magnetic field,
therefore it is much weaker.

No, and no.
All the magnets on all sides are their own deal and there for a reason.
You set the cube to 0 using the bottom magnets, then move it straight
over to the blade to get a 0 reading using the side magnets. No need to
rotate the cube. Great design.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)