Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Snap-Check+ Setup Tool - Opinions Wanted

On 1/19/18 11:35 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2018 10:42 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/19/18 10:39 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2018 10:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/19/18 6:55 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What do you think of this setup tool? Scroll to the bottom
of the page for a video.

http://www.chipsfly.com/product/35-572.html

I have an iGaging angle cube and it works great. Of course,
any smart phone will do that trick now. It's a shame they don't
have the digital display on their aluminum model.

You have to be careful quality control of the iGaging stuff.
When I got my cube, it wasn't flat on a couple sides-- it was
bowed. I took it apart and fixed it by bending the case back
in. Not something I should have to do out of the box, but it
works perfectly.

All that to say you just have to make sure it's all up to
snuff during the return-for-refund time. With those cheap
prices come greater potential for quality control issues.

The electronic tilt box/cube/what ever brand. Be careful if your
equipment is on mobile equipment. I found that if I lean on my
TS the reading on the box changes.

Yes, you find that out in a hurry. Great tool and I use/trust it
when I need a DNO angle on the blade.

Since I brought up the phone app, I think I'll do a side-by-side
comparison and see if either is more accurate than the other.

I keep my phone in a Defender and in the past an Otterbox case.
Neither work well with a tilt setup because of inconsistencies.

I just did a side-by-side (literally) test between the cube and phone.
I set up a jig using a flat board and a bolt on one end that could be
turned to raise the height on that end, increasing the angle of the board.
I loaded several different level apps and sorted through until I found
the most accurate ones.
Bottom line is the phone seems incredibly sensitive and changed its
reading even before the cube. However, as accurate as it is, the
reading of both would vary from each other in the 100ths. So which was
correct? I don't know. :-)

However, the major difference, as you alluded to, is ease of use. I
can't fit the whole phone on a TS blade and I if I could, I'd have to
hold it against the blade.

The angle cube is very small and has magnets that hold it to the blade,
freeing your hands to adjust the saw. Ironically, the magnets on one
side of my cube allow it to slip, which the opposite side sticks solid.
Oh well.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)