Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Keyless Entry - security

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 14:28:18 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

snip

1/3 of the electorate voted leave (fact).
2/3 of the electorate didn't vote leave (fact).

This old chestnut!

Hmmm ... c h e s t n u t s ... drool ;-)

16,141,241 of the electorate voted Remain (fact)

Ah, people that rushed out to vote for what they already had. Yeah,
makes sense.

30,358,760 of the electorate didn't vote Remain (fact).

Ah, people that rushed out to vote for what they already had. Yeah,
makes sense.

for every 100 voters for Remain, 108 voted for Leave

Nope, 1/3rd voted to change the status quo, the other 2/3rds didn't,
the burden lay entirely on those *actively / wanting* to CHANGE FROM
the *status quo* who need to do that. Full stop.

You are in a space capsule with two others on a tried and tested
trajectory to a safe landing. ONE of you says, 'ere, I think that if
we change the angle a bit, we will get down quicker, so, who is up for
it?', do you think that a lack of vote is any different from a
negative vote (not that one was called for or required in that case
either) when it comes to making that sort of *decision to change*?

It's not making *a decision* to retain the status quo, it's a
consequence of not *choosing* to do anything else / different.

So we leave (maybe).

That is the country's wish, I would hope so.

We only know that it's 1/3 of the electorates wish ... and we
specifically know it's against the wishes of at least another 1/3rd. I
would hope we *didn't* act on something so split.

snip

Unlike actually measuring the *fact* that only ~1/3rd of the
electorate voted *to change the status quo*, for example.

Well 65% didn't oppose change is perhaps a more accurate picture

Only if you count (let's say) apathy as an acceptance of change which
is not logical. To get why you would need a reasonable EQ and I'm not
sure that's a particular trait of most fanatic brexiteers. ;-(

So.
there was no box on the paper about changing the status quo.

Yes there was, it was called 'Leave' and only 1/3rd of the electorate
ticked it.

Quite, and they were in a minority of the electorate.

Frightening isn't it. Hopefully we (the electorate) will actually be
able to have the final say, once we have the faintest idea what Brexit
actually means (as it may be so far away from what most people thought
they were voting for, even they wouldn't want it).

“If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy”

Cheers, T i m