Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Snap-Check+ Setup Tool - Opinions Wanted

On 1/19/18 8:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2018 6:55 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What do you think of this setup tool? Scroll to the bottom of the
page for a video.

http://www.chipsfly.com/product/35-572.html

I use a digital caliper for setting up my dado set width, measuring
plywood thickness for groves, and for measuring resulting thickness
after running material through my planer or drum sander.

I find that test cutting yields the best results when setting up the
router bit depth and setting TS blade height. I actually will
measure the results vs. tying to set the machine to an exact specific
setting before cutting.

The TS blade height is the hard one to measure. Which tooth is the
highest and is it at its maximum height when you take the
measurement? Same with the router and router table. With circular
cutting tools it is difficult to determine where to measure exactly,
especially when you get into measuring thousand's of an inch.

The measuring tool looks to be a good price and probably pretty
accurate but do you know exactly where to place it and where in the
rotation of a blade the tooth should be? Will that tooth be the one
that cuts the deepest or will it be the tooth 5 spaces away? Again,
I like to measure the results on test scraps vs. trying to set the
machine up to be cut perfectly the first time. I think you will find
if you try to set up the machine with this tool that you will end up
making adjustments after checking the results.

Pretty much the same goes with setting a rip fence to be parallel to
the blade. This is theoretically the idea setting for "Perfect"
wood. But who has perfect wood. Once again, when I adjust my rip
fence to the blade, I look for results/smoothness of cut on the
wood.

I'm absolutely not saying that you should not try to be as accurate
as you can with your measurements, you absolutely want to be
accurate. I'm just saying that results of a set up are are more
important than accuracy of the set up. Remember, wood is not
perfect.

Totally agree with everything you said, especially the part about making
adjustments after the first cut.

You spend all the time with a gauge getting the thing "perfectly set"
but it's not, really, until the test cut. So why not skip the fine
measuring and go right to the test cutting?

Now, on TOH they were using a CMS with length stops that had a digital
readout and it was set DNO to the saw blade. I would love one of those
and that would be a real, actual, time saver.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--