Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Freight Bar Clamp #60539 Review

On 1/17/2018 7:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
They suck.

I have had plastic quick clamps fail to do what I would like from most
Mfgs. HF #46806 type. I just do not buy them anymore. I've got one
old Irwin that has not totally failed yet, but it does have a lower
clamping force than I would like. Various others in various sizes have
all slowly gone into the round file over the years.

#60539 is an aluminum "close?" bar clamp with similar grip range to the
old pipe mounted clamps we use to buy. I would shy away from it because
its aluminum and from Harbor Freight. Aluminum can be quite strong.
Some alloys (7075 for example) can be stronger than some steels. The
problem is its probably not 7075.

Now the little old style bar clamps like the #62239 seem to be ok. They
are a pretty light bar, but they are no worse than any other clamp with
such a light duty steel bar. I've never actually had one of them slip,
although the lock on similar Irwin clamps has slipped on me. I threw
three of them away all at once one day. I have about 20 of those little
#62239 clamps and I use them with far more clamping force than they are
design for to hold injection molds closed when I am injecting.

I have a few Jorgensen clamps, and a bunch of bar clamps from various
MFGs. I have several bar clamps from harbor freight with the heavier
steel bar as well. (I don't see those on the website. Maybe they don't
sell them anymore.) They work fine. I've learned if I take my time and
lay out my work on a nice clear bench or table it doesn't take long at
all to get everything clamped up. Often it takes half a day to clear a
bench and only half an hour to finish a glue up. LOL.