Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default UPS battery options

On 1/18/18 3:52 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

As I remember, I paid $16.00 ea for the 7-8ah 12volt AGM batteries but I bought a case online. Someplace like APC or Batteries Plus will charge twice as much or more for the same batteries. Since I got the UPS units for free I suppose it was economical for me to upgrade the batteries. I tell folks to pick up the small battery

backup units on sale and plug in a table lamp with an LED bulb that can be left on all the time so the house isn't dark during a power outage. I think the 60w equivalent Cree LED bulb I have in one lamp draws 9.5 watts/79ma which will run for a very long time on a small battery backup unit. I have an LED bulb with a candelabra base
in a night light plugged into a UPS in my bedroom at home that stays on all the time. The same UPS powers computer equipment in the bedroom including my cable modem. I have all network and computer gear on UPS units so a power hickup doesn't cause any crashes. I've even been awakened in the middle of the night by the alarms on the
UPS units all over the house when there's a power outage. It sounds like a bunch of critters in a jungle at dusk. I've thought of opening the units up and disconnecting the piezoelectric sounders. ^_^

Good idea on the lamp and a LED bulb.
Too bad there is not an option where the UPS does not output a voltage
unless the power does go off.

I have removed the beepers on my UPS. Too much noise when the power
does go off and if at night, I want to sleep and not be wakened evenif
the powe does go off.
They should make that an option on all the UPS.

I'd love to kill the beepers in all my mostly medium capacity APCs.

How did you do it?