Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Computer mouse switch going bad

In article ,
says...

Ralph Mowery wrote on 1/17/2018 11:07 PM:
In article ,
says...

Anyway, the government is not the one who will force your upgrade to the dumpster, it will be software manufacturers.

I had to go to a Win 10 computer from XP just so I could run a tax
program. Partly the same way I had to move from Win 98 a number of
years ago to do the taxes.

Each upgrade of Windows causes me to have to keep another machine
running. I have laptops running Dos and WFW 3.11 to run some programs,
another ruunig Win 98, Win XP and Win 10. I did manage to bypass the
win 7 and 8 versions. The had to buy a newer version of Office to run
on a new laptop. Just glad I found someone on ebay that sells the key
(or whatever) for under $ 10 for the 2016 version.

Maybe your problem isn't the OS, maybe it's the applications you want to
run. I haven't used MS Office in a decade or more. LibreOffice works great
and just seems to work everywhere I want to use it.

I don't care for what microsoft has to offer, other than the Office set,
I don't run anything or do anything with microsoft once I get the
computer up and running.

I will say I miss Visio. But then I was using that before MS bought them.

I think we are sort of saying the same thing.

The tax program I am using quit woring with win 98, then it quit with XP
as the years went on. Some old programs that I need to run to program
old equipemnt such as motor speed controlers and radio transceivers
will not run under anythng but a true DOS program and a slow computer.
A TV dongle will show the video but not play the sound under Win 10.
With MS Office being used whre I worked, I got used to using it. Guess
that I could use Open Office at home now I am retired,but did not want
to change as the old Office XP worked fine for what I am doing.

I don't play games on the computer, but do have an old version of Doom
that I sometimes put on to check out the graphics speed. That thing
quit working under Win 10 ,just as some of the old games did under XP.

So it is the APPS that I want to run , but I still blame the OS for not
being compatiable with the old programs. The it works the other way,
blame Turbo Tax for not running on the older operating systems either.