Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Harbor Freight Bar Clamp #60539 Review

On 1/18/18 1:53 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
news
On 1/18/18 10:13 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 8:46:35 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03
wrote:
They suck.

I look at HF bar clamps as exactly what they are, inexpensive
clamping tools. I could get frosted if I paid $20+ ea for them.
But they are around a quarter of that. If one breaks, I can
still buy two more for the cost of a "Name" brand and be ahead.

Then there is the fact I have a LOT of them and have had no
problems. Could it be that those who are having the problems are
simply over stressing what should be a light duty clamp?

What's alight duty clamp, though.

Beats me, I see little to no difference between the HF quick release
clamps and equivalent ones from Jorgenson et al. If anything, I'd
say the the hf ones - those sold now - are heftier. I use them to
clamp all manner of things.

And shouldn't the jaws of even a light duty clamp stay at 90
degrees to the bar.

IME, no clamps like this do that because the bar flexes as pressure
is applied. That's no problem as long as the clamp is properly
positioned on the work piece; i.e., if you don't try to make the
clamp head perpendicular to the work.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The above doesn't make a lot of
sense to me.
Just so it's clear what I'm talking about, here's a picture of the issue.
http://mikedrums.com/HF_Bar_Clamp.JPG

The end jaw doesn't even *start out* at 90degrees to the bar with no
pressure at all.
With pressure applied, it gets worse.
This is completely unacceptable and in my mind renders the product
defective as to its sole purpose.

Even if you're only edge banding plywood shelves, if the jaw faces
don't stay straight, they will try to pull the banding off the edge
of the plywood or at least put uneven pressure (more pressure on
the bottom).

See above.

They just aren't worth the money to me anymore. Not with the
hassles that come with using them. About all I can use them for
is supplementary clamping after real parallel clamps are in place.

Your money, of course, but at 1/3 the cost or less of others, I'll
stick with HF.

Been down that road and haven't looked back. Have fun.
I'd rather spend my time making stuff than having to modify tools or
techniques involved in using them just to get them to do their most
basic intended functions.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)