Posted to rec.woodworking
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default steam bending

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 16:24:28 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Well, yes. There is that while bit of the difference
between the apprentice, journeyman and the master. After a failure
the apprentice says "I thought it would work." The journeyman says
"That doesn't work." and the Master say "Oh yeah, that doesn't work."

not that it matters if we agree because that is boring anyway

the master can still make mistakes because wood growth is pretty
random although not completely because it has constraints but the
master definitely becomes better at pattern recognition

that pattern recognition will be hard to quantify for this
apprentice i mentioned and really can only come from experience

so if the apprentice only relies on quantifying by measuring weight
or moisture content or any other metric besides visual scan backed
by deep learning then the apprentice will never obtain master status

and the furniture company will get tired of too much scrap wood and
then they will wonder why this one guy seems to have amazing success
even though he did not even attend college but he knows wood