Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UPS battery options

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 6:22:28 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 17:48:13 -0600, philo wrote:

On 1/17/2018 4:32 PM, Andy wrote:
Found this. What do you think ?

I am wondering how the internal charger would react to seeing a 110 CCA battery
as opposed to the internal 9 Ah battery?

My UPS uses an external battery. It's not of a make that anyone
here would recognize. It's very basic, rather poor in external
finish and internal construction but it does the job and has been
doing it for some 13 years.

I use a small car battery of 35Ah capacity which gives me a good
backup time. I've never tested the backup time to its limit but
it's more than 1 hour when the battery's new. I used the first
battery for about 10 years by which time the backup time had
dropped to about a minute. The replacement cost around $50 and is
still going strong after 3 years.

I was an industrial battery service engineer and any battery used inside
your house should be VRLA. Valve regulated lead acid, for safety
reasons. A standard car battery emits hydrogen and could be explosive.

As far as using a battery larger than what the unit was designed for,
you can do that...I do it myself. Just check the voltage periodically as
it should "float" somewhere around 13.5 volts.

If it ever drops to 12.7 or below, you will need to use an external
charger to boost it.

Is there any significant difference in the charging of a regular deep
cycle battery and a gel cell like they use in a UPS? I am not sure I
would want to use a regular starting battery since they do not like
being severely discharged.

I've had AGM batteries in my 1kw UPS for 5 years and the batteries have never failed to keep the computers running for a very long time during power outages. I have several 500va UPS units that I installed AGM batteries in and back in 2016 I was home for a month when the power was out for 6 hours one night. I have several 500va units around the house that have LED lamps plugged into them that are on 24/7 and of course stay on when the power fails.. It makes it safer for me to get around the house since it's so difficult for me to reach a light switch because of my wrecked shoulders. I could be sitting at my desk in front of my desktop computer with the TV to one side.The power would go out and the only way I'd know is the relays click and alarms on the UPS units go off. The UPS units are all salvaged and dumpster rescues from when I was still working (able to walk). The batteries would fail and people would toss the UPS units in the trash instead of replacing batteries. I'll never understand why good equipment is thrown away. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dumpster Monster