Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Keyless Entry - security

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 16/01/2018 16:27, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 14:02:50 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

I have read of the odd car theft where a device is used to access the
code from a keyfob in the house to unlock and steal a car.

I am about to get a car with such a feature.

Is keeping the fob in a metal container in the house any use? Or is it
all a bit like tin foil hats?

Better off doing some investigating, and finding a wire that stops the
engine when cut. Then fit a microswitch somewhere non-intuitive. And even
then, a really determined gang would bring a low loader, and just lift
the vehicle.

In the old days you could immobilise a car by shorting the points. The
starter worked but the car wouldn't start. You used to be able to buy a
switch to do the job which you installed in a concealed location - but
you had to remember to set it. After my Mk1 Escort was nicked (and
returned with a let down tyre), I made a immobilisation circuit (using a
2-way relay) which set itself when the ignition was turned off, and to
reset it required the ignition to be turned on and a concealed button
pressed, so I couldn't forget to set it even if I was leaving it for a
short time. There were several unsuccessful attempts to nick it
subsequently.

A switch across the points might not be the best idea - given the rather
high voltage spike when they open, when working normally. Might cause
misfires.

If you had an electric pump, better to isolate that. The engine would
start, then stop when the carb emptied. And often more difficult to hot
wire than an ignition cut out, especially if the pump is in the locked
boot.

Points? Carb? With kessy? Shome mishtake shurely?...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/