Posted to alt.home.repair
Seymore4Head[_2_] Seymore4Head[_2_] is offline

Default Plumbing

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 14:45:49 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 5:35:47 PM UTC-5, Seymore4Head wrote:
I have a laundry hookup I assume is similar to this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=laun...8AidC3S1ZZM8M:

The drain is blocked so we have been draining the washer out the
window to keep from opening up the wall to replace the drain section.

Well now one of the water valves is leaking so it seems like a good
time to fix both problems. I called a plumber and told him what I
needed and he said because of all the busted pipes that he could come
out and replace the valves (so I can turn the water back on to the
house), but the drain would have to be later.

So can he replace the water valves and then come back and shoe in the
drain? I guess my question is can the trim piece be put in after
doing the plumbing or does the drain, water, and trim piece have to go
in together.

Why do you have to open a wall for a clogged drain? Typically they
can be snaked. Where is it blocked? If it's further down the line
there should be cleanout plugs along the way, eg in the basement, etc.

Why do you have to open a wall for a leaking water valve? If it's
just dripping or leaking at the stem seal, they should be serviceable
with a screwdriver and wrench.

The valves are roughly 45 years old and the bottom of the box is
rusted because of a previous leak.

A few years ago I had a plumber try to snake it out and he said the
drain was blocked.

Is the trim piece something that can go in at any time or does it have
to be done in the rough in?