Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default All This Talk of Gluing Edges: Practical Illustration

All this talk of edge glue joints and glue starvation and clamping
pressure and blah, blah, blah....
SWMBO had a request so I needed to do a quick panel glue-up.
Just two 7" poplar boards edge joined for some little side table thingie
that wimenfolk like. I don't know, I just make sawdust.

So anyway, I just wanted to put in the very minimum effort to show how
just a table saw can do what you need. Also, to show how little glue is
needed (I actually STILL used too much) and how little clamping pressure
and time are needed with modern PVA glues.

The first 2 pictures shows *one* technique (I have several that use the
TS) for putting a straight edge on a rough-sawn board. Once you have
one straight edge-- flip and repeat and you have parallel straight edges.

3rd pic shows a thin covering of glue on each edge. Again, I still
think I used to much as can be seen in the squeeze-out in the following
2 pics.

The next 2 pics show how strong a glue joint is after only a couple
hours in the clamps. Spoiler alert! The wood breaks, not the glue.

The last pic shows the stained panel and how tight and imperceptible the
joint is.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pmyWHV7ANvFek7b62

--

-MIKE-