Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default Jointing On A Router Table - Can't Keep Even Pressure

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 1:56:44 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

There is no need to, left hand holds the work against the outfeed
fence, right hand moves it along. Now, if the work were much more than
36"
long, you would have to move your right hand but not your left; no
matter,
left is still holding it where it should be.

I just changed my feed method and hand positions. I did not change my
fences.
I was able to joint a 36" board without any bumps.

I was previously holding the board down and against fence with both hands
on the out-feed side. Even tried paddles. This time, partially based on
your wording, I installed a feather board to hold the board down and
placed
my left hand on the table, keeping pressure on outside edge of the board
hold it against the out-feed table while moving it with my right.
Perfectly
jointed edge.

YAY!. As a refinement, you don't need the featherboard, your left hand can
easily hold it both in and down.

There remains the reason behind your bumps. Even holding it as you
described, there should have been none. For a bump to arise, the board has
to have slightly moved away from the bit, then moved laterally, then
returned to the bit. The simplest explanation is that there was a fulcrum;
ie, the fence halves were not parallel.The other explanation is that you
were physically moving the work to create the bump. In either case, I'd
think the problem would be immediately obvious. Why wasn't it?