Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Jointing On A Router Table - Can't Keep Even Pressure

On 1/14/18 9:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
IIRC, you were joining two 9" wide boards to make 18", correct? If I
were worried about anything, I would be worried about cupping on
those panels. I would rather join four 4.5" boards than two 9" ones.

If I have the exact dimension wrong, forgive me, but I'm sure
there's something out in google land that tell the maximum width for
sub-panels in a wide panel glue-up.

Also keep in mind that this maximum width will change depending on the
grain orientation of the wood.
I've seen solid, single plank panels, 20+ inches wide that were dead
flat after 50 years.
They just happened to be made from 1/4" sawn stock that must've been
from some seriously old-growth threes. You have to have 4ft logs to get
that kind of width with 1/4 sawn boards. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--