Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Jointing On A Router Table - Can't Keep Even Pressure

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 1:56:44 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I'm trying to joint some 1 x 8 poplar on my router table so I can glue up
a panel. Each piece is 36" long. I have the out-feed fence 1/16" proud of
the in-feed fence.

I understand that you are supposed to keep pressure on the out-feed fence
but I can't seem to keep even pressure as I move the board along. At 36"
long I have to move my hands and when I do, I get a bump in the jointed
edge. I tried to clamp 2 feather boards to the table on the out-feed side,
but I'm still getting 2-3 bumps on the jointed edge because of hand
movement.

Neither fence nor the table is long enough to use push paddles for the
entire 36". Is that part of the problem?

Is there any way to get rid of the bumps so I can do a gap free glue-up?

Since you want to think that your holding method is at fault rather than
your fence haves not being parallel, let me suggest that you not move your
hands.

Hearing and vision were enough to prove to me that the issue was my holding
method.

The fact that I just perfectly jointed a board that fit within the fence
width, requiring no need for me to move my hands along the stock, convinces
me all the more.

There is no need to, left hand holds the work against the outfeed
fence, right hand moves it along. Now, if the work were much more than 36"
long, you would have to move your right hand but not your left; no matter,
left is still holding it where it should be.

I just changed my feed method and hand positions. I did not change my fences.
I was able to joint a 36" board without any bumps.

I was previously holding the board down and against fence with both hands
on the out-feed side. Even tried paddles. This time, partially based on
your wording, I installed a feather board to hold the board down and placed
my left hand on the table, keeping pressure on outside edge of the board to
hold it against the out-feed table while moving it with my right. Perfectly
jointed edge.

Trust me, all is true, been doing it that way for more than 30 years.

Bottom line is that it wasn't that I *wanted* to think my holding method
was at fault, it was 100% true that my holding method was at fault. There
was/is no issue with my fences.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding a different holding method.