Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laminate flooring in kitchen

On 14/01/2018 17:49, David wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 18:01:38 +0000, GB wrote:

On 13/01/2018 17:49, Nick Odell wrote:
On 13/01/18 17:28, GB wrote:
https://www.homebase.co.uk/conniston...ooring_p398113

My local Homebase are selling this off very cheaply (£4 psm).

I'm sure it's fine (enough) for the living room, but I was thinking of
putting it in the kitchen. I would lay it and then give it a coat of
floor varnish to help seal it. I'm just worried what will happen when
the washing machine overflows.

Also, for simplicity, I'd like to board the entire kitchen, then
install the units. So, the units would be resting on the laminate.

I'm not sure that any of this is a very good idea. Any advice
gratefully received.

Sorry to have so many questions, but there's just a lot to think
about.

FWIW when I moved into my current house there was fake-stone-slab
laminate on the kitchen floor and I haven't had any cause to remove it
yet. The washing machine hasn't overflowed on it (yet) but the dog has
-
several times. Nothing happened that the wet'n'dry George couldn't cope
with.

That's an amazing price - what have you got to lose?

I'm worried that:

1. The washing machine overflows.
2. The MDF backing to the floor gets saturated and either swells up or
disintegrates.
3. The kitchen units built on top of this subside.
4. I have to take it all to pieces, etc.

There would be less room for catastrophe if I install the kitchen first
then install the floor around it, but that means cutting round the
units. It seems neater to install the floor first, then the units on
top, but nobody else does that.

I'm probably overthinking this.

FWIW we floored the entire dining kitchen living area with laminate before
fitting the kitchen.

So far, so good, but one day I assume we will have to do something about
the laminate under the units. Perhaps.

I have thought that the kitchen units all stand up on legs, with the legs
hidden by a kicking board, so in theory you could get under the units to
remove and replace the laminate but it would be very fiddly.

Been there, done that, horrible job, but doable.

I did want to put in laminate from wall to wall, as we have already put
cupboards where we had appliances and vice-versa and might do so again
in the future.

We removed a worn vinyl floorcovering and put down a tile effect
laminate. I did not want to get the work-tops off, empty the cupboards
and remove them and fill the living room with everything from the
kitchen - especially as we had a through living room, no other
downstairs room and three young children.

I managed with the help of two small trolley-jacks as temporary,
moveable, adjustable supports.

More likely when (if) the day comes it will be new floor and new kitchen
at the same time.

Far, far easier!

SteveW