Soup

Default Cutting Kitchen Worktop

Jeff Allen wrote:
Soup wrote:

Jeff Allen wrote:

I have an old built-in hob which I want to replace with a
freestanding cooker. Therefore the existing kitchen worktop will
need cutting in order to be able to slot in the new cooker. Is it
going to be possible to cut the laminated worktop using a jigsaw? I
can tolerate some
slight chipping since I intend to cover the end using metal edging.

Jeff.

[snip]

Remember that there is a minimum gap between a freestanding
cooker and any flammable surface I have no site or anything but 22mm
comes to mind .

What exactly do you mean by flammable surface? According to the
installation instructions "The space either side of the cooker need
only be sufficient to allow withdrawal of the cooker for servicing.
It can be used with cabinets on one side or both sides ..."

Flammable surface = Wooden (or idea M.D.F.; or compressed wood; etc.)
worktop.

Installation instructions from a cooker manufacturer, perhaps an
electric (induction) cooker, maybe the "22mm" just applies to cookers with a
naked flame ? As I said in my post couldn't cite any legal requirements
etc. but have always thought there was a min. distance requirement. As far
as having cabinets either side, we do but there is still a gap between them
and the cooker whether this is a legal requirement or just to facilitate
servicing I have no idea.
Recently had the kitchen refurbished and the chaps who were doing it
said they "had" to leave a gap.Whether for servicing;legal reasons or some
warped fitters bu*****t I again have no idea.

--
Yours S.
addy not usable (not that you would try it)