Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Jointing On A Router Table - Can't Keep Even Pressure

On 1/14/2018 9:06 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 12:54:31 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 5:31:12 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When jointing on a router table, the fences are *supposed* to be mis-aligned.

Correct!

The out-feed fence is supposed to be about 1/16" closer to the operator than
the in-feed fence.

Correct!

The bit is then aligned flush with the face of the out-feed
fence.

Correct!

I'm suspecting the two fences, outfeed and infeed, are not parallel, despite their being offset. They are not exactly coplanar. They need to be offset and they also need to be perfectly coplanar.

I suspect your hand movement is giving you a misjudged idea of why you are having the bump. It's not your hand movement that's the (main, if at all) problem. Check to make sure your fences are coplanar, despite their being offset.

Sonny, I'd love to agree with you here, but when I can hear the router change sounds
and see the wood move away from the fence as I shift my hands, and then see the bump
(or bumps) exactly where I expect them to be, I have to blame it on my hands.

Sometimes I get one if I am ever, so so careful and slow, others times I get 2 or 3, but they
are *always* positioned exactly where the wood is contacting the bit when my hands shift
position.

Sonny

There is also the possibility that you are applying too much pressure
and slightly bending the board as you are feeding it. If so the board
could spring back slightly if even pressure is not applied.