Posted to alt.home.repair
Halaji Halaji is offline

Default Unscrew Kohler faucet handle - help...

replying to Smarty, Halaji wrote:
I am replying to a seven-year-plus-old thread as I faced this problem myself,
and after an hour's work, and glad to add ten minutes to help others avoid my
pain. To remove the escutcheon (called the "skirt" on the Kohler support site)
I had to: shut off the water supply; remove the small pipe between the supply
and the faucet valve; remove my soap dispenser (as it was blocking the path of
the wrench); remove the drain pop-up rod (also blocking the path of the
wrench); remove the hose between the "T" and the valve; and remove the large
washer and nut securing the valve.Then, I had the valve and "skirt" and handle
in a single piece in my hand, but could not simply unscrew the skirt as
instructed on the Kohler site and in a video. I put the base of the valve
(there are cut-outs on the valve for a wrench so I didn't chew up the threads)
in a vice and put on a pair of gardening gloves with rubber palms and fingers.
Then I went to the gym for six months, drank 200 protein shakes, flew to
Jacksonville for a SEAL-training course, and finally twisted off the
escutcheon/skirt. I have to believe there was smarter way to design this. But
my faucet works.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...lp-436294-.htm