Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default Laminate flooring in kitchen

GB wrote:
On 13/01/2018 17:49, Nick Odell wrote:
On 13/01/18 17:28, GB wrote:
https://www.homebase.co.uk/conniston...ooring_p398113

My local Homebase are selling this off very cheaply (£4 psm).

I'm sure it's fine (enough) for the living room, but I was thinking
of putting it in the kitchen. I would lay it and then give it a
coat of floor varnish to help seal it. I'm just worried what will
happen when the washing machine overflows.

Also, for simplicity, I'd like to board the entire kitchen, then
install the units. So, the units would be resting on the laminate.

I'm not sure that any of this is a very good idea. Any advice
gratefully received.

Sorry to have so many questions, but there's just a lot to think
about.

FWIW when I moved into my current house there was fake-stone-slab
laminate on the kitchen floor and I haven't had any cause to remove
it yet. The washing machine hasn't overflowed on it (yet) but the
dog has - several times. Nothing happened that the wet'n'dry George
couldn't cope with.

That's an amazing price - what have you got to lose?

I'm worried that:

1. The washing machine overflows.
2. The MDF backing to the floor gets saturated and either swells up or
disintegrates.
3. The kitchen units built on top of this subside.
4. I have to take it all to pieces, etc.

There would be less room for catastrophe if I install the kitchen
first then install the floor around it, but that means cutting round
the units. It seems neater to install the floor first, then the units
on top, but nobody else does that.

I'm probably overthinking this.

We had a big flood in the kitchen a good few years ago. Four year old
flexible pipe to the kitchen sink burst............ bloody kitchen fitters.
The laminated floor was well and truly under water, but suffered no damage.