Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill[_14_] Bill[_14_] is offline

Default Chuck Speeds

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 12:53:50 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

Great reference. Thank you. It seems to indicate a D1 style 10"
independent 4 jaw will spin fine upto 2000 RPM as long as the work piece
is round and centered.

In another spot in that reference it says this "+ICI-Never exceed maximum
speed(RPM) of the chuck. The MAX RPM is stamped on the chuck face.
Refer to the table on page 356 for recommended maximum speeds for
self-centering chucks." Mine is not self centering, but it is stamped
with:

* 4344-8/5 (I assumed this was a model or part number, but have not
been able to verify)
* 2589 (could be rpm stamp)
* 90 (no clue)

Looks like its not likely to explode at the 2000 RPM max of the lathe
its going to get used on.

As I scanned through that reference it seems most 10" Bisons are rated
to 2000 RPM, a few are rated higher and a few are rated lower. Most
lower being 1900, but atleast one was listed as low as 1500. Certainly
its worth checking.

I ran across another reference which indicates 43** models in 10" are
rated for 2450 with steel body and 1500 for cast iron body.

I have a 8" Bison, ind. 4-jaw, that's stamped "4344-8/5". The bison
catalog seems to say that all the number 4344 chucks have cast iron
bodies. 4344 chucks are listed on Pg 74, and rpm data on pg 144.

(sorry link is wrapped)

http://www.bison-america.com/public/...d/00082/81296/
bison-2016-usa-chapter-1-manual-chucks.pdf

Bill

--
Email address is a Spam trap.