Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chuck Speeds

On 1/11/2018 12:08 PM, Howard Beel wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
I recently got a good deal on a new old stock Bison 10" independent 4
jaw. Its the model with the FPJ logo instead of the actual Bison logo.
In my search to make sure I had actually gotten a chuck made by Bison
I ran across references to how fast you can spin a chuck.Â* I'd never
really thought about it before.

The lathe I plan to use it on turns upto 2000 RPM.Â* I have for short
periods spun the 10" import chucks that came with the machine at that
speed.Â* Other than taking a little while to come up to speed I never
noticed any adverse issues.Â* However!Â* I'm certainly no expert on this
sort of thing.

How fast can I safely spin this big heavy Bison chuck?Â* Is there a
reference where I can look it up?Â* What about the cheaper 10" import 3
jaw that came with the lathe or for that matter the cheaper 10" 4 jaw
that came with it?

http://www.lathe.com/toolmex/2011Bis...CatalogRev.pdf

Best Regards
Tom.

---
http://www.avg.com

Great reference. Thank you. It seems to indicate a D1 style 10"
independent 4 jaw will spin fine upto 2000 RPM as long as the work piece
is round and centered.

In another spot in that reference it says this "€¢Never exceed maximum
speed(RPM) of the chuck. The MAX RPM is stamped on the chuck face.
Refer to the table on page 356 for recommended maximum speeds for
self-centering chucks." Mine is not self centering, but it is stamped
with:

* 4344-8/5 (I assumed this was a model or part number, but have not
been able to verify)
* 2589 (could be rpm stamp)
* 90 (no clue)

Looks like its not likely to explode at the 2000 RPM max of the lathe
its going to get used on.

As I scanned through that reference it seems most 10" Bisons are rated
to 2000 RPM, a few are rated higher and a few are rated lower. Most
lower being 1900, but atleast one was listed as low as 1500. Certainly
its worth checking.

I ran across another reference which indicates 43** models in 10" are
rated for 2450 with steel body and 1500 for cast iron body.