Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Chuck Speeds

On 11/01/18 18:38, Bob La Londe wrote:
I recently got a good deal on a new old stock Bison 10" independent 4
jaw.Â* Its the model with the FPJ logo instead of the actual Bison
logo. In my search to make sure I had actually gotten a chuck made by
Bison I ran across references to how fast you can spin a chuck.Â* I'd
never really thought about it before.

The lathe I plan to use it on turns upto 2000 RPM.Â* I have for short
periods spun the 10" import chucks that came with the machine at that
speed.Â* Other than taking a little while to come up to speed I never
noticed any adverse issues.Â* However!Â* I'm certainly no expert on this
sort of thing.

How fast can I safely spin this big heavy Bison chuck?Â* Is there a
reference where I can look it up?Â* What about the cheaper 10" import 3
jaw that came with the lathe or for that matter the cheaper 10" 4 jaw
that came with it?

The few Bison chucks I have bought new have always come with a data
sheet that covers the range of models and safe speeds so i would expect
you to be able to look it up on their website.